Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
yttire
So those are some things to consider. Personally I think a 90 minute commute blows and I'd rather be poor or work an extra 5 years than commute on that hell track. Plus it seems if a major terrorist attack were to occur they would probably attack DC, so that is another knock against it.

I agree! DC would be a miserable existence, as far as I'm concerned. It it were me, I'd seriously consider the South Dakota position. I took one trip there 2 years ago and loved it. You are hours away from the best wilderness/national parks/recreational places in the world.

I was laid off last year and offered several high paying software development contracts in the DC area. After looking at the lifestyle and COL, it was a no-brainer to turn down.

I'm 46 as well. During my lay-off last year, I took a good hard look at what I wanted out of my life and working 50-60 hour weeks with a long commute was no longer something I wanted to deal with.

I found a job closer to home with a much more laid back work atmosphere. I've only had to drive in to work on a Saturday once in the last 1 1/2 years I've been there. The job pays about 10k less than my last one but I have a lot more free time and their vacation/personal time is unbelievably generous.

decath
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.