Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a teacher and writer living about an hour north of Sacramento. Any Fools nearby? (Note that nearby is relative; my main Foolish e-pen pal is in New Jersey, but I'm looking for fellow Fools a little closer to home.) I'd like to get together occasionally for dinner and laughs, as well as investment talk. Anyone game?
Print the post Back To Top
CB33 offers:

I'd like to get together occasionally for dinner and laughs, as well as investment talk. Anyone game?

I've been waiting for a fellow Fool here in the Valley to show up on this board, so yes I'd like to touch bases.

New Fool Steve in Sacto
Thanks, Steve, for the friendly post. I've read the last 1000 or so on this board and it's been hard to find much positive input about Northern Californians. I did find one post (#2869, from 10-6-99) from another Sacramentan, Tom Springer. HELLO, TOM, ARE YOU STILL OUT THERE?

It would be nice to hear from other Sacramento valley Fools who may be lurking. Please speak up, and let this board know that there is more to Northern California than San Francisco and the Bay Area. Yuba City in particular is a low-cost, low-crime, low-traffic, low-population area. There's not much in the way of entertainment available locally, but then we LIKE the quiet.
Mercifully there IS more to life in California than EL Lay or Frisco highbrow wanabees. I recall driving through LA on I-5 one time in the 70's from my home in north San Diego county to the Bay Area and cursing the (lack of) air quality. It kept getting worse and worse as I headed through town and I got more and more uptight and distorted. Finally I was ranting (didn't have a message board handy) out-loud about how much I was hating it to no one in particular, to the world at large, since I was driving alone.(Perfect for ranting, huh?) Just then I noticed I had been trailing some big low slung sedan spewing clouds of hydrocarbons and an abundance of noxious fumes. Damn! I thought it was the natural color of the sky and had gotten totally sucked in. As I pulled around the greasermobile I could actually sorta see the horizon and my dashboard again.

I knew it was time to give up on the Bay Area about 10 years ago when more days than not I couldn't actually SEE across the Bay. Orange County mysteriously moved north and from San Jose to San Rafael, clouds of greaser smoke hang in the air 80% of the time. It brings a smirk to my face to think that Valley air is better than what the poor Fools in those great metropolitan areas breathe. I actually kinda feel sorry for 'em. How about you?

No. of Recommendations: 1
Yuba City: shall I compare thee to a summer's day I passed not-so-long-ago? Little did I realize, as I was driving north past Williams on I-5 last July that I was but a scant few miles from the bucolic paradise of Yuba City. I was in desperate haste to extricate myself from the confines of the Sacramento/San Joaquin Valley, whose heat and haze had enveloped me for the last several hundred miles like some gigantic, uh....body cavity. You see, coming from Santa Barbara as I do, I thought I had but little need for air-conditioning in my vehicle. The mild epithets I cast across those dusty fields are as nothing when set alongside the withering sarcasm you can expect to receive from certain other contributors to the ongoing friendly regional rivalry we call Folly in California. I always used to get Yuba City confused with Tuba City, which is located, I think, in Arizona, and possesses perhaps an even-more-unpleasant summer climate.
Ah yes, the heat-phobic coastal Californians pay for the privelege of living in natural air conditioning and while you may still have clean air in Santa Barbara (had a nice visit there with my woman at Xmas) your prices would leave little for me to invest. Me. I prefer a little natural heat and the small cost of air conditioning to inflated prices (your Santa Barbara gasoline runs a good $ 0.25/ gal more). It's nice to have actual seasons like much of the rest of the country too. Plus our air quality and quality of life are so much better dollar for dollar.

Steve
Magna wrote:
<I always used to get Yuba City confused with Tuba City, which is located, I
think, in Arizona, and possesses perhaps an even-more-unpleasant summer climate.>

The only thing I know about Yuba City is that Juan Corona was mayor there for awhile in the 70's and helped keep the population down.
But the descriptions I've received from those that live in the area make it sound very appealing, and I sincerely hope certain contributors to this Cal Folly board don't involve it in any regional sniping.

keeping the peace,
Michael
But the descriptions I've received from those that live in the area make it sound very appealing, and I sincerely hope certain contributors to this Cal Folly board don't involve it in any regional sniping.

Michael,

Please don't take the "regional sniping" personnally. The banter that goes back and forth is all in fun. The "creative" descriptions that fly on this board are meant in fun. Feel free to jump in!

TMF Dawn
OC Duck Maimer and occassional crosser of the Orange Curtain into LA
<Please don't take the "regional sniping" personnally. The banter that goes back and
forth is all in fun. The "creative" descriptions that fly on this board are meant in fun.
Feel free to jump in!>

Yeah, I know Dawn. If you do a search on Juan Corona, you'll know I've jumped into the fun.

Michael

P.S. I still believe that CCSand's brother misinterpreted that Castro beauty year's ago, and therefore missed an excellent educational opportunity.
It's nice to see some folks responding to this thread. Steve wrote:

Me. I prefer a little natural heat and the small cost of air conditioning to inflated prices (your Santa Barbara gasoline runs a good $ 0.25/ gal more).

Cost of living is great too. I pay $425/month for a luxurious 2br/2bth apartment in a quiet complex with tennis courts, pool, sauna, jacuzzi and covered parking.

My brother the computer guru in San Jose pays triple my rent and lives in a very standard apartment with no amenities. If he has visitors over on weekends or weeknights, they have trouble finding any parking within a half mile of his complex. He pays far more for car insurance, renter's insurance, food, sales tax, everything. He makes more than double my income, but guess who has more available for investing?

Suzanne
Michael wrote:

The only thing I know about Yuba City is that Juan Corona was mayor there for awhile in the 70's and helped keep the population down.

LOL! Actually, we're known for the Michael Lyons kidnapping and murder a few years ago, too. Maybe the reason is that in Yuba City murders are still NEWS. They're rare enough they don't all blur together in the memory like in SOME cities I could name.

In the spirit of honesty though, I have to comment on the air quality issue raised in other posts in this thread. The Sacramento Valley (including Yuba City and much surrounding territory) is a heavy agricultural area, especially with rice crops. Since the rice stubble has to be burned after harvesting to kill parasites or whatever, there are some days when the air quality here is no better than in major cities. Also, with last fall's wildfires all over, we had several intensely hazy, red-eyed, don't-take-a-deep-breath days. I came outside a couple mornings to find ash on my car.
<The only thing I know about Yuba City is that Juan Corona was mayor there for awhile in the 70's and helped keep
the population down.>

CB33 wrote:
<LOL! ... in Yuba City murders are still NEWS.
They're rare enough they don't all blur together in the memory like in SOME cities I
could name.>

I assume you're referring to Bakersfield and Fullerton.
I know my beloved LA has had its problems, but thankfully mass murders are not yet routine news--even in the Brentwood area.

Michael