Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
This week is a good example of why my weight and my inability to lose weight depresses me.

I stuck to the plan all week. It's a loose plan (so I don't get too caught up in the process and screw myself) but it's not a bad plan. I ate right, exercied, etc. Nothing. Then on Saturday I went to an amusement park. I still ate a normal/reasonalbe breakfast and lunch. I still drank a lot of water. I walked around the park ALL DAY! I ate a little bit more than normal and I ate some stuff I won't normally allow myself, but at no time did I stuff myself or overeat in any way. We stopped for pizza on the way home and I ordered a salad, had one piece of white pizza and didn't even finish my one piece of pepperoni. This was not a day on the plan, but it wasn't a day pigging out, either. Well, the scale finally moved... UP. It seems to have corrected itself, but it's so discouraging that NOTHING could make me lose weight last week.

Yesterday at the officla weigh-in I was down a pound. I barely ate all day and I shaved my legs. LOL I was up a pound by my morning weigh-in, and that would have cost me $5. So, apparently in order to lose weight I must starve myself.

Today I am back on the plan. (I'm not going to make a regular habit of not eating much.) I guess we'll see how this week goes. It had better go better than last week. One thing I like about the FitDay program is that I can print the calendar view (or any view, really) and I can have it display a breakdown of calories or metabolism or weight, etc. I am DEFINITELY trying and doing everything I can, and if I don't see results I am going to take my print-ups to my dr. When I talked to him about it last he didn't seem to think I was really sticking to the plan. Any plan. If I don't see some results I can take the print ups to him as proof that I am eating less and exercising more.

I think I'll walk to school tonight. It's less than a mile, environmentally friendly, and will save on gas. Plus I'll get to count it as exercise. I don't normally walk because I don't want to walk home by myself after dark. I have a final tonight, so I won't be late... and I won't even need to carry my books. It seems like a good excuse to walk. The walking definitely seems to help more than whatever I eat or any other type of exercise.

Rebecca
Print the post Back To Top
The one thing that has absolutely blown my mind about eating junk is this:

A calorie is a calorie right?

What is the difference if I eat 200 calories in brocoli or 200 calories in Oreos?

So why do we gain weight when we eat crap as opposed to eating healthy?
I've been doing the same. I have been walking on my lunch (about 20 minutes, 1.5 miles).

I got on the scale today....okay, now I'm 5 lbs heavier. That is a total of 15 lbs since February.

Don't beat yourself up for one pound, but I do know how you feel.

What do you mean by White Pizza btw?
When I order pizza, I always order it "easy cheese" with lots of veggies, and thin crust, so there isn't a whole lot of carbs.
White pizza is pizza without sauce.

This particular white pizza is the best. It's actually stuffed white pizza (so when I recorded it, I counted my one slice as 2.) There is mozzarella and ricota cheese between the crusts and it's topped with fried onions and rosemary. It's not low cal or low fat or low carb or low anything! But it's delicious. And I had one piece. I brought a pizza home for Jeff, and I haven't had another piece. He's been taking it to work. (The crust is thinish if that counts for anything.)

Rebecca
No. of Recommendations: 4
Patience, patience.

A couple of things. First, if you drank a lot of water, I'm not surprised your weight went up a little. Much as we like to think we lose it all at the nearest ladies room, our body does like to be well hydrated.

Second, how much aerobic exercise are you getting? And by aerobics, I mean sweating, with your heart rate up for twenty minutes or more? You don't have to be breathless, but you want to be working. If you're not getting a little winded walking or if your heart rate only goes up a few points, you're going to need to either work harder or move faster to kick the ticker into a higher gear. Walking's great exercise, and it will help, however to start to lose the weight, you've got to start burning it, hence the cardio.

A slice of pizza won't kill you. If it leads to a whole pizza pie, well...

More fruits (esp in the morning and early afternoon), more veggies (all the time), whole grains (you'll feel fuller faster) and good fats (avocado, salmon, flax seeds, almonds, cashews). Eating six times a day is a good plan--three regular meals plus two healthy snacks. Watch for the hidden sugar--anything that's got high fructose corn syrup is the enemy (and it's in so much!).

Another poster asked about 200 calories of oreos vs. 200 calories of broccoli (I think). Yes, a calorie is a calorie, but it isn't just about that. For 200 calories of oreos, you get what? Three cookies? But 200 calories of broccoli nets you probably a bowl or more. What's going to fill you up? The oreos with the sugar, high fructose corn syrup and trans fats or the broccoli with it's fiber and other minerals? HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is particularly evil for a couple of reasons. 1-it makes you want more and 2-the way it's metabolized makes it stay in your body longer. And I don't know about you, but I can't eat just three oreos. If it's three, it's thirty-three.

A final thought--weigh yourself once a week in the morning before you've eaten anything. Our weight fluctuates from day to day. Use a pair of pants that's a bit snug as your new scale, and even then, put them on once a week. Working out 4-5 times a week will do way more toward moving you toward your goal. Several weeks of that and you'll start to see the differences. Really!

g
Thanks for the post. :)

I weigh daily on purpose. When I stop weighing daily I have more trouble staying on track. I don't worry too much about the day to day fluctuations... It's the overall trend I am interested in. It's almost more disconcerting to be almost the same every morning. (The 'official weigh-in' is in the evening because that's when it is... My friend and I are having a competition of sorts to keep us on track.)

I walk 2 to 3 times per week. The loop is just over 4 miles in about an hour and 10 or an hour and 15 minutes. This is ALL up hill. Well, almost all uphill. There are 2 hills that I think will kill me before I reach the top, one at the beginning and the other at the end, and a couple smaller ones. Counting all hills, probably about a mile is uphill. This is a very hilly area. It sucks. Definitely breaking a sweat, elevating my heartrate, etc. Can still carry on a conversation... well, except for that first hill. I'm pretty winded by the time I get to the top of that one.

When I walk to school tonight I will walk at a brisk pace, again aiming for cardio. There is one pretty killer hill on the way there and then on the way home there is only one smaller hill. I think. I haven't walked it yet! It's just under a mile... Jeff is going to clock it for me on his way home from work.

And then on other days I do an upper body/ab work out or a pilates video. I also have the Walk Away the Pounds DVD which I really like. I do that when I can't walk outside.

So, yes, I exercise.

Rebecca
So, yes, I exercise.

:) Good. You're on the right track.

What would happen if you aimed to shorten your time on the killer route by 3 minutes each week till you're at or under an hour for the whole loop? Could you build up to it? I'm wondering if it would help rev up your metabolism just a little more and push you more toward weight loss.

And don't forget--muscle weighs more than fat. If you're not dropping much, it could be that you're starting to build muscle. A good thing!

Gena
Around here, a white pizza has Alfredo sauce instead of tomato sauce.

Alan
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi Rebecca,

My sympathies about the scale. My scale here has the same malfunction. I'm 10 pounds heavier than on my wedding day, and darn it I can't seem to shake them.

In the past, I've lost a little weight (or sucessfully maintained) by using this trick: If I'm at home and have the urge to snack when I'm not really hungry, I first run to the scale and weigh myself. If the number's higher than expected, I'm mortified enough not to eat...and if the number's lower than expected, I think to myself, hey, I'm on a roll; why break it?. That works for me, though, becuase I have a tendency to eat when bored...you don't seem to have that issue.

Hugs,

zuzu