Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
We went out to get groceries, mail, etc., before the next storm, expected tonight!

Lunch was a delicious crock (each) of French onion soup (the cook makes the best we've ever had) and a huge shared turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, and pesto sandwich, with sweet potato fries. (We love mayonnaise with the sweet potato fries.)

Fabulous.

Now to settle in and relax, probably doing "the word" -- a word game that appears in the daily New York Post. You must see how many 5-letter words you can find that start with each letter therein. (Not 3 or 4 or 6 letter words, mind you -- just 5 letters. Fun. Today's was "derelict".)

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Some questions:

Lunch was a delicious crock (each) of French onion soup (the cook makes the best we've ever had) and a huge shared turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, and pesto sandwich, with sweet potato fries. (We love mayonnaise with the sweet potato fries.)

Who's the cook? It all sounds wonderful -- the soup and sandwich seems like enough from now until next Tuesday.

I'm going to "do" that turkey sandwich tomorrow but without the bacon which I seldom buy.

Now to settle in and relax, probably doing "the word" -- a word game that appears in the daily New York Post. You must see how many 5-letter words you can find that start with each letter therein. (Not 3 or 4 or 6 letter words, mind you -- just 5 letters. Fun. Today's was "derelict".)

It's not difficult to find one 5-letter word for each letter in "derelict" but my impression is that you (or the Post) wants more than one word for each letter. Do you put a time limit on it? It seems to me you could spend the entire evening and never have time to eat that onion soup.

Good luck dealing with the impending storm -- as long as you don't lose electricity you'll be fine. We're expecting snow and sleet tonight but this year the storms have hit north of us or to the south.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Waldo:

Oh, the whole idea is to find AS MANY words as you can! My wife and I each do it and then compare to see who gets more! (She usually "wins".) We got a lot more than one for most of the letters in that one, but sometimes you can't figure out any, and sometimes just one!

Good mental exercise.

A frustrating thing is that we have to get to a store to peak at a Post to get the word. It does not seem to appear on their web site!

Vermonter
I get the New York Times on line. Every day they have a mini crossword puzzle that I do. I email it to a friend and one of my granddaughters before doing it, and we all enjoy it.

What’s the New York Post doing up in Vermont? I often don’t even see it on the stands here on Long Island only a few miles from NYC.

I love sweet potato fries so much I order them whenever I see them on the menu! The other day I went out to lunch with “the girls” in a restaurant that served them with an optional dressing that was mostly mayonnaise, but contained a little something else that may have been mustard. yum!

Trini
The Post seems to be everywhere. We even see it in mid-coast Maine (Bath) when we go there for our annual "vacation"!

Yes, sweet potato fries are great. My wife likes them and not regular fries. Of course, all fries need to be properly made, as in twice fried: once to cook them and then again to crisp them. Some cooks don't seem to know that and the result is soggy fries. This guy is a grad of the Culinary Institute and has been cooking for 30 years, so he knows plenty.

Snowy morning here, still falling slightly, maybe 5 inches of fresh fluffy stuff on the ground, and 8 degrees.

Sigh... We're ready for spring some day!

Vermonter
Vermonter:"Sigh... We're ready for spring some day!"

Spent 4 years in Troy NY and my recollection was it got to be 'warm' about the time of final exams....and that was mid to late MAY.

Of course, up that way, June is also known as 'black fly' month which usually follows May as 'mud month'.......across much of VT and upstate NY...

The worst part of winter, beside the cold, snow, wind, dark......was the grime that accumulated on the sides of the road....black piles of snow/grit snow ice from the road sanding and plowing .......throughout the winter.....

Then by late April, after a 'short summer' from maybe July 4 to Labor Day, with maybe a few days of Indian summer after....the leaves would start turning in late early/early September - letting you know that October would be leaf raking month...and possibly the first snow to have to shovel....

t.
<<Vermonter:"Sigh... We're ready for spring some day!"

Spent 4 years in Troy NY and my recollection was it got to be 'warm' about the time of final exams....and that was mid to late MAY.

Of course, up that way, June is also known as 'black fly' month which usually follows May as 'mud month'.......across much of VT and upstate NY...

The worst part of winter, beside the cold, snow, wind, dark......was the grime that accumulated on the sides of the road....black piles of snow/grit snow ice from the road sanding and plowing .......throughout the winter.....

Then by late April, after a 'short summer' from maybe July 4 to Labor Day, with maybe a few days of Indian summer after....the leaves would start turning in late early/early September - letting you know that October would be leaf raking month...and possibly the first snow to have to shovel....>>

I spent a couple of winters in East Lansing, Mi at Michigan State University. Something of a shock climate wise for a Seattle boy.

I have vivid memories of the traditional Easter snowstorm which piled up fresh snow which was then plowed over the sidewalks I would have like to be able to use. The sidewalks could have four feet of snow covering them, replete with the grit you describe from the streets.

Perhaps Global Warming is helping to solve that climate issue for Michigan residents? One can only hope.

Seattle Pioneer
t:

Well, soon we'll have "mud season", which is especially nasty when you live on a dirt road. You get ruts in the road, especially from trucks. Even now it's useless to wash the car! If we go through a car wash, by the time we get home again, the car will be all muddy and dirty again, and I can't leave the hose connected because it'll freeze overnight!

Spring, we're eagerly awaiting you! Black flies can be bad, yes, but we seem to get very few up here on our ridge, thankfully.

Vermonter
"Spring, we're eagerly awaiting you!"

I still have to get the mower started - wait two weeks or so.

Howie52
The weatherfolk are calling for snow in the mountains next week. But
here in the upstate of SC we are seeing temps up to the low 60s.

course, there is still frost here and there - but the little froggies
are starting to make a ratchet in the evening - and the weeds are growing
with vigor.

Howie52
I am doing my best to keep vigor at bay.

Succeeding I may say.