No. of Recommendations: 4
Yup. That's what the social contract is intended to provide is a safety net for people living on the margins so that they can contribute to an improved quality of life for the rest of us rather than simply being a drain. Unfortunately, this part of the social contract is the most at risk from political interests that are penny wise and pound foolish.

We've pumped trillions into social programs in the last 40 years, and we have nothing to show for it, except greater dependency. We have an entire Democratic Party that sees nothing wrong with having millions dependent on Government handouts, so long as they vote Democrat to continue the gravy train.

Problem is that most people in this position lack the most basic of resources that would allow them to go away even if they wanted to. So we have a choice - attempt to help them solve their problems through an organized and well managed public support infrastructure or cut them off and hope the hazards of their personal circumstances drive the underclass to extinction. The reality is that, as a country, we're not effectively doing either.

No, the problem is that there are too many Democrats, that are concerned with what 'feels good' rather than what works. Panhandlers usually use their money to buy more drugs or booze. I prefer to give to children's hospitals (and have). They can't make it to the curb with a cardboard sign, and they use the money for things that actually change lives for the better. I don't feel guilty about not subsidizing someone's dependence. I prefer to direct my efforts toward sponsoring someone's efforts toward independence.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.