Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Zero? A typical single person, one job, standard deduction would declare 2 allowances if one works out the small worksheet on the front of Form W-4.

You should be able to get the 2-page W-4 from your employer or from the IRS web site at

The reason why I emphasize that this is a 2-page form is because there are worksheets on Page 2 that go more into multiple jobs, more itemized deductions, etc.

If one needs additional worksheets or wants to figure out adjustments to be made mid-year, one might find Publication 919 "How Do I Adjust My Tax Withholding?" handy, also on the IRS web site at

Both links in this message are for .PDF files that require the (free) Acrobat Reader.

The form and publication should also be available by mail or from your local IRS office.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.