Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Gang,

I once asked similar questions, so forgive any repetition.

I am zeroing in on buying my first truck which must be able to comfortably haul a 3,700 lb trailer and roughly 750 pounds of equipment/food/people.

So I checked out the Ford F-150, the Chevy Silverado and the Toyota Tundra. I got incredibly varied responses from very unimpressive salespeople as to how much each vehicle could tow - ranging from 5,000 lbs for a 5.4/V8 to 8,000 for the same engine! What's the most downright reliable way to verify towing capacity?

Also, the F-150 salespeople seemed ready to deal and give me a used truck (about 30K miles) for 18,000; the Silverado people seemed ready to deal a similar truck totally new for 23K and the Toyota guys wouldn't budge below 23,5K for a 2000 - all have bed liners, tow packages, cloth seats and nothing too special. Any of these prices even remotely impressive?

Any thoughts? Is the Tundra worth the extra dough? Sure seems like their owners are not turning them in as used ones are hard to find. Also, how long do you guys reasonably think each truck can last in terms of miles?

All thoughts are greatly appreciated by this frequent lurker. I just want a good solid truck at a fair price and don't want to spend too much more time on this.

Best,

BroadwayDan
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.