Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a friend in the Indiapolis area who has taken up jogging the last couple of years. She is at the stage where she jogs or does jog/walking for around 10K at a stretch. Recently she told me about the Zionsville Anti-Mini Marathon in May (http://www.runz.com/antimini/all/) and asked if I'd like to do it with her. I told her I'd think about it.

I did tell my friend that there is no way in heck I would run the event, but I would consider walking it. I'm trying to figure out what it would really take for someone in my condition to prep for this event on May 5th. At this point, I work out anywhere from 3-5 times a week. My main activities are swimming, Pilates reformer, and working out with a trainer whose main focus is on strength training combined with just getting my heart rate up for an hour.

I have walked 2 5Ks with great success. I could eat a 5K for breakfast if I wanted to, and am pretty darn sure I could walk a 10K on non-crappy terrain with not much difficulty.

As far as training is concerned, I like walking but I am just flat not willing to give up all my other stuff for 3 months to prep for this. Most race training prep programs have you doing 3-4 days a week of just walking/running, which includes a long walk/run, plus 1 or maybe 2 days of cross training. I think I could easily do

There are several reasons I'd love to do this. First, my friend is willing to walk the race with me and it would be delightful to spend a good 3.5-4.5 hours doing this with her. Second, I don't currently have any particular goal I'm working on and could sure use one. Also, this would provide a great excuse to go visit my brother and his family, who live in the Indy area, for a couplefew days. Finally, whether this is a "real" race or not, I would feel that I earned a 13.1 sticker for my car, and that's a life goal.

So, what do you all think? Is it feasible for me to prep for this, with a goal of just completing the event within around a 4 hour period? Can I do it without giving up the other activities I like? Does anyone know the course that this race is done on, and is it good or does it suck?

Any and all advice appreciated!

d
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.