Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a friend in the Indiapolis area who has taken up jogging the last couple of years. She is at the stage where she jogs or does jog/walking for around 10K at a stretch. Recently she told me about the Zionsville Anti-Mini Marathon in May (http://www.runz.com/antimini/all/) and asked if I'd like to do it with her. I told her I'd think about it.

I did tell my friend that there is no way in heck I would run the event, but I would consider walking it. I'm trying to figure out what it would really take for someone in my condition to prep for this event on May 5th. At this point, I work out anywhere from 3-5 times a week. My main activities are swimming, Pilates reformer, and working out with a trainer whose main focus is on strength training combined with just getting my heart rate up for an hour.

I have walked 2 5Ks with great success. I could eat a 5K for breakfast if I wanted to, and am pretty darn sure I could walk a 10K on non-crappy terrain with not much difficulty.

As far as training is concerned, I like walking but I am just flat not willing to give up all my other stuff for 3 months to prep for this. Most race training prep programs have you doing 3-4 days a week of just walking/running, which includes a long walk/run, plus 1 or maybe 2 days of cross training. I think I could easily do

There are several reasons I'd love to do this. First, my friend is willing to walk the race with me and it would be delightful to spend a good 3.5-4.5 hours doing this with her. Second, I don't currently have any particular goal I'm working on and could sure use one. Also, this would provide a great excuse to go visit my brother and his family, who live in the Indy area, for a couplefew days. Finally, whether this is a "real" race or not, I would feel that I earned a 13.1 sticker for my car, and that's a life goal.

So, what do you all think? Is it feasible for me to prep for this, with a goal of just completing the event within around a 4 hour period? Can I do it without giving up the other activities I like? Does anyone know the course that this race is done on, and is it good or does it suck?

Any and all advice appreciated!

d
Print the post Back To Top
I have a friend in the Indiapolis area who has taken up jogging the last couple of years. She is at the stage where she jogs or does jog/walking for around 10K at a stretch. Recently she told me about the Zionsville Anti-Mini Marathon in May (http://www.runz.com/antimini/all/) and asked if I'd like to do it with her. I told her I'd think about it....

I'd suggest you talk with Charlie (aka JavaRunner) on this board. He does some coaching out of his store in Indy. I am not sure if he has openings in the group but some of the folks are aiming at another half marathon on the same day.

the good...
http://boards.fool.com/the-good-the-bad-29819517.aspx

discurro
aka the ugly
You can totally walk the event. I train walkers and running to half marathons.

There is nothing that says you have to give up your other activities. I believe you can do this training with 3 days a week of walking. You have to do everything incrementally. Same as with running, you need to follow the 10% rule - when you increase miles each week, only do it by 10%.

There is also nothing that says you can't walk 5 miles in the morning, and do a light swim in the afternoon or evening.

You can send me a private message if you need more info, or a training plan.

Charlie
Go back a couple threads to I'm Published and you will find out how I got into walking these things. It certainly looks like it would count to me. My first half took 4 hours and 15 minutes.