No. of Recommendations: 2
Znarr: "I have asked my mother to look into what they've got from the employer - they're actually with the State Department and she's in something called the Thrift Savings Plan. She does get automatic deductions monthly that go into this plan, but no idea what the plan/funds consist of."

I know little about the TSP plan, but have read good things about it, and because it is federal government, there are lots of people around TMF quite knowledgeable about the TSP plan.

"When I mentioned that the first step was to eliminate debt, I also found that they owe about 17,000 :(

They've asked if they should remove some of the money from the TSP and pay off this debt but for now I've told them to wait until I know more about what kind of plan this is (ie if there are penalties for withdrawal, etc)"

NO. NO. A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Income taxes (federal and state [unless they live in a state w/out an income tax) and penalties (unless they are over 59 1/2, IIRC, and worst of all, no change in the habits that got them there and with reduced retirement assets and with expectations of a future windfall.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.