Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
zskii,

I troll here; but don't post much. I'm interested in full service online banking because of the potential savings over a B&M institution; but I've not made the leap to on-line only. I use a local B&M CU and ING Online. The first is a B&M institution that is also available online; the second doesn't really offer full banking services despite being FDIC insured. In the past I've used an E*Trade money market in place of ING and have considered using Vanguard for the same, so there are certainly good online alternatives for stashing cash and they don't have to be full service banks.

Convenient and unencumbered access to my funds is a serious concern. But I'm also willing to sacrifice interest income on my checking account to avoid paying fees -- mainly because the fees aren't tax deductible and because I can transfer my excess cash to another, higher yielding account for efund/short-term savings.

You might convince me to switch to a pure online bank if I was certain the additional returns and reduced cost for billpay (I pay $5/m now, also my only bank fee) was worth the hassle of not being able to deal with a teller face-to-face. ATM fees and rebates are unlikely to affect my decision significantly. If ATM fees are a problem, I'd keep a CU account open, use their free ATM network and funnel funds to/from my online bank through ACH transfers. Obviously free in-coming and out-going ACH would be a requirement for any bank I choose.

As for your poll, the question seems to be directed at customers that insist on being online only. Since I don't really fit in that category, it was probably unfair for me to vote.

- Joel
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.