Titanic Law Helps Ship Owner Limit Bridge Collapse Liability

I was wondering if the ship owner/operator was responsible for damages as a result of the bridge collapse. Apparently not much. MIddle-class tax payers will be asked to bend over and take one for “team Private Equity”.

intercst

2 Likes

It seems the owner is Maersk, a publicly traded company rather than private equity.

DB2

My understanding is that there’s a string of about 5 legal entities involved in the typical container ship cruise, each configured to avoid liabililty. Maersk may own the boat, but they’re likely renting it to someone with a way to escape liability. As the article states: “Maersk seen not at risk as it had no crew aboard the Dali.”

intercst

4 Likes

The middle class gets most of the benefit of the arrangements. While the middle class does not get the gravy the rich do, the middle class has a standard of living that is far better because of trade.

The port is major for the import and export of automobiles and car parts. That has crumbled for a while right now.

We can expect a higher inflation number this coming quarter. Minor moment.

1 Like

Good article in WSJ today explaining the insurance coverage for Baltimore bridge disaster. They estimate that after about a decade of litigation as the various players try to put the liability on someone else, the eventual payout should be $2 to $3 Billion.

https://www.wsj.com/us-news/legal-fight-over-destroyed-baltimore-bridge-is-likely-about-to-start-bd7f9127?st=i3jdthpuf7e7i7z&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

intercst

1 Like